Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Why do I have to keep changing my alternator?

I have a 92 Pontiac Grand Prix LE. Last August, my alternator died and I got it replaced at the local garage. In October, the new alternator died and I had it replaced, (for free) by the same garage. Last night I tried to start my car and guess what? Wouldn't start....lights were dim etc. This morning I tried to start it just out of curiosity and I don't even get an interior light, panel lights, power locks or anything.....I'll be getting it towed to the garage again in a few hours. Could there be an underlying issue or am I just getting crappy alternators? I figure it's either a crappy alternator, battery could be toast or there is something else going on somewhere. I checked all the battery connections and there is no buildup on them so that's out. Any help would be appreciated.
Why do I have to keep changing my alternator?
It could be a bad battery, or poor quality alternators, but more likely is a wiring issue. see if the garage you have taken it to can run a voltage drop test on your starting/charging system to see if there is a parasitic load on the system causing the alternator to be over worked and fail prematurely. This should be part of standard diagnostics before selling you a new alternator and should be a labor charge of about 1/2hr.

since this has gone on for this long your battery has likely damaged or is bad. be sure to ask questions,If the garage you are using is not familiar with proper diagnostics procedures...find a better one
Why do I have to keep changing my alternator?
#1) You can have your alternator built up to higher output - it is inexpensive and actually makes the alternator more durable. Look in Yellow Pages in your area. #2) Seems most likely that you have a wiring/hook-up problem - a short or ground.

Report Abuse


not the alternator is my thought.

i think it might be the battery is being drawn down by some power short, or left on power to some equipment some were, the short could even be in the stereo unit its self.



if the alternate is going out that many times from the same shop change shops they might be using cheap brands of rebuilt alternators.



might be the starter solenoid making contact some place and draining the power.

the alternator does not make the lights come on when you turn them on the battery does that but the alternator will keep the charge up.



pay attention next time you are driving at night. if you see your lights going dim and bright then turn off the powered items you are using like ac or radio one item at a time until you have them all off. if the lights stop going dim bright then your alternator is going out again and is most likely caused by over drawing power from it when driving. you might need a larger one.

No comments:

Post a Comment