Tuesday, September 20, 2011

I loose power in my Grand Cherokee 95, even after changing the Alternator and recharging the battery, why?

I have been experiencing a power drain when starting the Jeep, At first I though it's the battery, not the case, it can hold the charge and is checked out OK. Then I though maybe is the Alternator, had it replace and worked ok for a little while, by the time I parked it at home 10 miles later, it lost power again. There is a security red light that comes on, I have no idea what that could be, other than the remote battery needing replacement.



I had the vehicle jump started, kicked right up lit-up everything, for a minute, then a sudden drop of power eventually shot down. What could it be? Any help is welcome.
I loose power in my Grand Cherokee 95, even after changing the Alternator and recharging the battery, why?
Time to do a parasitic draw test. This will identify the circuit that is draining the system. Easy way is to connect a DVOM= digital volt ohm meter to the battery and observe the reading.make sure the door switch is depressed so as not to give a false reading. Then one at a time remove the fuses and look for an increase in the voltage. If no change is seen put that one back and move on to the next one. When the voltage goes up, that is the circuit that is giving you the problem. Now you will have to check out that circuit to determine the real nature of your problem. Could be a bad dome light, cigarette lighter, glove boxlight, etc.
I loose power in my Grand Cherokee 95, even after changing the Alternator and recharging the battery, why?
it is likely a bad connection or loose ground
Sounds like the Alt is not charging the battery. you need to check if is charging using a volt meter. it should be 14.1 volts while running. if not you have a charging issue. also just be sure the battery is good at 12.6 volts with engine off.

No comments:

Post a Comment