Tuesday, September 20, 2011

How can I tell if it's my battery or alternator that needs to be replaced?

My car (1997 Mustang) has been taking longer and longer to turn over recently. Last night, the battery died on me while I was in the store. The lights weren't on, but the battery acted like the lights had been on the whole time. I had to get my car jump-started, and it took three tries and a couple minutes charging before it would actually start. After I left my car running for about 30 minutes or so (and the battery indicator was in the middle), I turned the car off. I tried to turn it back on immediately, because the battery indicator fell down to zero, and it almost didn't turn over. (It did turn on, though.)

I haven't tried to start it yet today, so I'm not sure if I'll have the same problem or not...



Will changing my battery solve the problem? Or am I going to need to change the alternator?



FYI - I bought the car (used) in July 2007 and haven't had to change the battery. I'm not sure how long it's been in the car (unfortunately, the dealer I got it from may very well have not changed it at all, either...). I haven't had to change the alternator yet, either.



HELP!!!
How can I tell if it's my battery or alternator that needs to be replaced?
Auto Zone, or Advanced Auto Parts, and probably many others will test both battery and alternater for free.
How can I tell if it's my battery or alternator that needs to be replaced?
Try taking your to an automotive store like NAPA or Checkers where they can troubleshoot the battery and charging system.. possibly for free. Good luck!
does ur battery indicator turn on when ur engine runs? if it is, i guess it's ur alternator problem... cos it's not charging the battery...
Take your car to Autozone, Checker, NAPA, Pep Boys, etc., and they can do a test to determine which part needs replacing.


If it's your battery your car will not start no matter what. If it's your alternator your car may start again after waiting a little while. It happened to me once. My car died on the hi-way and I had it towed to a garage and about 1/2 an hour later it started up again. It ended up being my alternater. A battery will only start up again if it gets a boost.
Most likely, if your continues to run after you get it started, your altrnator is good, check the battery terminals for corrosion. Or for $80 get a new battery and some piece of mind.
It's actually most common for the battery terminals to just need cleaning. If you take your car to any reputable parts store they will check your battery for free (this is the second most common, by far) if your terminals are clean and your battery is good, guess what - chances are real good that it's your alternator and they're not real expensive either.
Its your battery if it ran after getting a boost, charging a dead or nearly dead battery will not solve the problem. You need a new battery.
Well if the engine sounds like it has been choking in the beginning in startup i would say its your alternator. But if your engine doesnt turn on at all I would say its your battery. Maybe you have a loose conection with the cables that touch the battery. Try opening the tops of the battery if it uses water make sure that the bottom of the battery has water in it. Make sure if you do this you put distilled water in it. If you get your car working you can go to autozone and have them check your battery for free. Good luck.
  • beauty in eyes
  • blocked myspace
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment