Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Car Keeps Dying Even After I Changed Alternator/Battery?

I need some serious help so i will explain. my car started dying on me when i put on my blinker,headlights a/c, heater,step on the brakes.Anything i do the gauges all drop and the car starts to die. I changed the battery and put in an alternator. the car ran 3 days and same thing started to happen the 4th day.my mechanic friend put in another alternator and it drove for a week and 3 days then the same problem again. WHY?!!? i did my car up so nice for summer and i cant do **** with it now. Please help me?!!??!
Car Keeps Dying Even After I Changed Alternator/Battery?
Have you had your voltage regulator checked? It is usually better to have it checked when the car is having problems as the voltage regulator can be tricky and work intermittently.
Car Keeps Dying Even After I Changed Alternator/Battery?
take it to dealer...you have an electrical short.....no amount of parts replacing will make short go away.
could be corroded power cables going to the battery
i agree with the first answer. you have a short. the electrical system can be a tricky monster. unless you consider yourself an expert, take it to a dealer or a shop that will do electrical work.
if its an older car it could have an external voltage regulator which would need replacing... in newer vehicles theyre part of the alternator... or you could have an electrical short. have you recently had a stereo installed? shoddy car stereo installs are notorious for weird electrical problems.
with the car off....have the tech check the battery load with an amp meter... this will tell you if your using current while its not running, meaning possibly somethings on or a short...
Trace the wire between the alternator and the starter. I don't know if your car has one but there might be a small plastic box (or anything that the cable goes into and comes out the other side) with a fuse inside of it. If you find it you can go to NAPA and show them what you have and they can get you one for about 10 bucks. It's a pretty simple fix if that's the problem. If not then I'm sorry. I couldn't tell you.

good luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment