Friday, September 23, 2011

I just changed my alternator and now I have a very rough idle. What's up?

Ok, so my car (a 1999 Ford Mustang with 140K miles) started acting funny yesterday and the battery light came on. Eventually, it died. I had the battery and alternator replaced. A little later in the day I drove the car and now the idle is very low (less than 500 RPM). In fact, it even killed on me as I parked the car and when I had to make a slow turn. However, both times it killed I was able to start it back up easily. I called the %26quot;shade-tree mechanic%26quot; who I let fix it and he says the car's computer needs to be reset. What do you all think? Thanks in advance.
I just changed my alternator and now I have a very rough idle. What's up?
The computer has to relearn certain things. The dealerships have a certain procedure of reving up the engine, on and off cycles so the customers don't complain after they get the car back. All you need to do is drive it around a bit, it will relearn on it's own.
I just changed my alternator and now I have a very rough idle. What's up?
If you like sparks and ruined tools, remove the positive battery terminal.



If you're smart, remove the negative battery terminal instead. (won't short out if you touch the body/frame.



Let it sit for a couple minutes. Then hook it back up.



Look around for a vacuum hose that may have been unplugged from the engine and is sucking raw air.
Sounds like he is right. A lot of times the idle has to be reset when the battery goes dead.
sometimes ive noticed it you tigten the belt to tight for the altenator it strains sometimes leading to low idle well at least it has happend with my mitsubishi
Timing?
well it could be the starter, have u checkrd that?!
Thank you knowItAll for sighting that mistake, you never remove the positive battery cable when you do a check or maintenance for this exact reason, a short can heat a socket wrench yellow hot in seconds and can explode and kill you. Always remove the negative cable to reset the ECM. Also yes you need to check your engine for vacuum leaks because this is a really common cause for this kind of problem the ECM does nothing with the alternator (other then draw power) so this would not be the first place I would look for problems. If all fo yoru vacuum lines are ok, try checking to make sure your IAC is working properly if the IAC is bad and closed shut, when you lift off the gas, say to make a turn or to come to a stop the engine starves and stalls. This is insanely common with the Ford 3.8L V6
Yah just reset the comp. Thats easy to do. Just disconnect the Red part of your battery and leave it off for a few minutes. GO back and reinstall it and you should be good.
  • cute myspace
  • hair braiding
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment