Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Why is my voltage on my car all the way up i just changed my alternator its a 99 gmc savana 3500?

i was told to change my alternator so i did but it didnt help with anything so what can it be
Why is my voltage on my car all the way up i just changed my alternator its a 99 gmc savana 3500?
If your voltage is maxed out,you have a loose connection some where or a loose battery cable.Nice picture of I street bridge in Sac.
Why is my voltage on my car all the way up i just changed my alternator its a 99 gmc savana 3500?
replace batt today
Your alternator has a voltage and current regulation system. I think that your alternator is defective in that puts out too much current. If you have a true ammeter gauge, it should show the charging rate but most new vehicles use only voltmeter. Most alternators will produce about 30 amps max and then drop down as the battery charges. If the charging rate exceeds that amount and if it does not drop as the battery charges, then the regulator is not working properly. You have to get this corrected soon cause if you allow an abnormally high charging rate your battery will overheat and it could burst. If you have a real voltmeter it should read between 12 and 13 volts as you drive. It will read around 14 volts when you first start the car and then drop down to 12-13.
The Delco alternator and regulator assembly you are using either works or doesn't.Are you sure the volt meter is calibrated right?
Greg

Save yourself some head ache, take the vehicle to your local

parts house and have them run a voltage test on the Charging

system, lets first see if it's your in-dash gage or a charging problem

Sometimes the gage will go bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment