Thursday, October 6, 2011

Do i need to change alternator with a 2600 watt amp?

I Have a hifonics Brutus 2600 watt amp and two 12 inch alpine type X's. My question is that I have been hearing two different things regarding this. One shop tells me yes i need a different battery, alternator, and a custom built box because these subs will blow the wood apart? The other tells me no just a thick wood box and a 20 farad capacitor.



I am very confused on what i should do and I don't want to install it the wrong way and have my alternator fail . . HELP!
Do i need to change alternator with a 2600 watt amp?
Do you have it all in now? Are the lights dimming? or are you planning to get this gear installed? a high output alternater is nice...but may be expensive. Replacing the battery might be a better alternative and a decent cap. But the other major thing to think about is the Wiring. This upgrade is cheaper...especially if you can do it yourself. Also people refer to this upgrade as the %26quot;Big three%26quot;.

http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/foru鈥?/a>

Which is very important. I'll tell you what I've got in my system...and just have the stock Alternator of a Honda Element which only puts out 105amps. My system consists of a PHoenix Gold Ti 900.7 amp, for my 5%26quot; Phoenix Gold Component sets (2x each....so 4 5%26quot; and 4 tweeters ) also running a pair of Phoenix Gold Ti 9%26quot; midrange woofers in my doors.

I am also running an Autotek Mean Machine 3000.1 amp. which is running a Fi BTL 12%26quot; Sub fully loaded 3rd magnet, cooling etc.



I have upgraded the big three and have replaced the crappy factory battery with a Yellowtop Optima. No dimming lights. I hit about....148db on a TL Meter....

Oh ya and also running a Phoenix Gold 15 Farad cap...but Capacitors are SOMETIMES overrated.

The X Subs are supposed to be pretty powerful...I've never heard/seen one in action, so I couldnt tell ya but ya a prefabricated box may not be powerful enough to hold your subs if they are extremely heavy and you put a lot of power through it. You need to make sure the box is not cheap. For any sub really. cept the cheapy subs...hehe...the better built the box, usually the better the sound. But it all has to do with the specifications of the sub and materials used as well as how it's built. I dont think the 20 farad cap by itself will help you out. I am surprised the shops have not said that you need the big three upgraded...unless this has been done already.

So in my case I didnt need to upgrade my alternator...I am running HIGH POWERFUL amps and a booming sub...high end sub.

Depending on your car you might need to upgrade the alt...but I'd suggest big three first and battery. If that doesnt help then try the capacitor...if that doesnt work then alternator. Alternator is the expensive of the upgrades...and you may have a hard time finding replacement alternators for your car....depending on the car you have.



I dont really have a choice either on alternators...Element's not a very popular car for alternator manufacturers...hehe.


Do i need to change alternator with a 2600 watt amp?
i have the same amp and i use to have the same subs connected to it, your headlights will definateley dim. if you dont plan on pushing the amp to its limits, (5000watts or so it says), then you should be fine with upgrading the %26quot;big three%26quot; wires and getting a deep cycle battery, never get a cap, they are completely worthless, as for the box 3/4%26quot; MDF is strong enough, both those shops are just trying to rip you off by selling you a cap that does nothing or a custom box thats really just a regular box.



if you still need more power get a 150 to 200 amp alternator.(last resort)
I would get a high current alternator. to keep it safe you need the full power of your headlights to drive around, it would suck if your driving around with your loud music and get into a wreck because your headlights cut off all of the sudden. keep it safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment